New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jlynch70

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  02:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a strange buckle. I took it to the Scottish Festival in Tulsa, Oklahoma and some of the dealers in victorian jewelry told me they thought it was 16th century. It has Celtic type weaving and some silver inlay is left. The silver that is left leave tells me that all the weaving was inlayed. The silver even has zig-zag designs. It is made of iron and hand forged. It looks as if it may have been in the ground but the tongue still moves freely so I do not think that is the case. The construction of the tongue is weak so I do not think it was for a belt but possible a brooch. I cannot put the pictures here but will be glad to send them in an email. If you would like to see it If anyone has an idea of its age and origin, please share.

Jeremy

jlynch70

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  03:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I should give the size and shape. It is round and 4.5 inches across. It is pretty heavy. The base is a ring with a flat piece of metal forge welded on two ends in the shape of the old brooches found in Viking, Irish and Scottish archaeological sites. It has a gap between the ring and flat curved piece so something can go through it. Both that part and the tongue has silver inlay.

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

jlynch70

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  03:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this will work but I put it on Pinterest. I am new to this so Here is the link I think.

http://pinterest.com/jlynch70/celtic-buckle/

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

chris
Administrator

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  16:26:57  Show Profile  Visit chris's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Resident of Crathes, Webmaster, Proprietor of ScotGold Products - www.scotgold.com

Edited by - chris on 30 Mar 2013 16:27:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000