Burnett Genealogy
 Burnetts of Fayette County, Ohio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jean Leeper

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  22:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Jean Leeper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2. Seven brothers immigrated from Edinburgh, Scotland to Norfolk, Virginia, sometime between 1670 and 1689. Some say 1670 and some say 1689. The names of these sons were as follows: Samuel; James; Robert; John S.; WILLIAM; Thomas and Henry. (Another place says came from Aberdeen and there were six brothers.)

Note: The name is spelled with one "t" in Europe.

3. The Fayette County, Ohio, Burnetts trace their origin to WILLIAM, one of the six brothers who came from Scotland to America between 1670 and 1689. This WILLIAM was the great-grandfather of Robert Burnett, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and who died in Fayette County, Ohio in 1820.

All of this Robert Burnett's descendants and all of the descendants of his granddaughter, Catherine Burnett Mark, who died in Mercer County, Missouri in 1899, are of the southern branch and are the descendants of a Sir Thomas Burnett of the British Isles, supposedly of England, but whose father was Robert Burnett of Aberdeen, Scotland.

Robert Burnett and his wife both died in the home of Catherine Burnett's father, when she was a small child, and both are buried back of the house where she spent her youth and young girlhood and from which she was married. (This is a far back as I Jean Leeper can document the rest is based on what Dr. John S. Burnett seems to have sent Emma Mark.)

Note: The substance of the above history, excepting the date 1670, and that pertaining to our branch of the family, was furnished by Dr. John S. Burnett of Pittman Center, Seiversville, Tennessee, a man of prominence and a Methodist minister (now deceased, 1948).

I have found most family stories have imbedded in them some truths. Can anyone hep sort these out?

My husband descends from Robert Burnett who died in Ohio in 182. His father was suppose to be John S. Burnett, grandson of William the immigrant. John S. died in Braddock’s Defeat at now Pittsburg, PA, in 1755; he was 25.

Granny

Christopher72

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  12:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I'm brand new here and I'm wondering if you might have some information for me. My name is Christopher Burnett and I live in Defiance, OH, USA. My father was James Lee Burnett (now deceased), born in 1938 in Lima, OH, and his father was Charles Lee Burnett (also deceased), born in Dayton, OH supposedly in 1911. I have been told that his father's name was Joseph Burnett, but I have really no information on him. After reading that the Robert Burnett you mentioned lived and passed away in Fayette County, Ohio, just east of Dayton, I wondered if my lineage descended from him as well. I thank you in advance for any information you may have about this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000