Burnettes of NC?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClayBurnette

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  02:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently been searching for information about my family and it's history. As far as I know my branch of Burnette's has lived in Greenville NC since around the 70's and is still where my Grandmother Eleanor, Father Donald and Aunt Margaret live to this day but my Grandfather Clay Burnette whom I was named after died before I was born in 1979. My Uncle Patrick died about a decade ago with no children. I was the last male Burnette in our family until the birth of our Twin sons last April, (Victor and Vincent and we are expecting a little girl (Olivia)in August of this year.

I am not 100% certain I am related to the Burnett's of Leys but while doing some cleaning at my Grandmothers house I found a copy of "Family of Burnett of Ley's" from the late 1800's that has an original copy of the family tree that this site sell's. The book was # 368 out of 525 copies made and is in relatively good condition for a book 130ish years old. It also like this site has section's in the book about the Burnett's of Ley's, Craigmyle, Kemnay, Crimond and Monboddo. I have just started reading the book but like all things in this day and age you google everything with your fingers crossed and I happened upon this website.

I have been told by my father that there is a branch of Burnette's that live in Farmville NC but I have never met any of them. My grandfather had two bothers Penell and Hemby. Hemby died in WWII and I never met Penel but he did have a Son JP Burnette who I met once over 10 years ago. JP had two daughters but there names I can't recall.

I have also been told that the e on the end of my name was a change made by a relative when she wanted to distinguish herself form other Burnett's but I have no proof of this other than word of mouth.

Also while networking at work I ran into some Burnette's in Philadelphia who are in the same line of work I am. Michael Burnette(from Philly) had the same thought I did that possibly, just maybe we may be related because so many Burnett's don't have the E and we both did. I live in Charlotte NC and he was curious if we were kin as his family is from north of Asheville NC. But it turned out he knows about as much about his Burnette's as I do about mine. Which was rather amusing and we passed several emails back and forth which got us no further to know if we were kin than before we met. Both of our fathers were in the Vietnam war which was interesting. Michael did tell me about a book about the Burnett's that is out of print from the mid 19th century that I was hoping my Grandmother owned but as far as I can tell she doesn't. If anyone has any information on the book "This is my Valley" by Frank M. Burnett I would love to purchase a copy for my own home library.

But that is why I am here and posting in hopes that someone can shed some light if I am in fact related to the Burnett's and how. OR maybe I am not but I have found no other historical information to say otherwise so I hope I have come to the right place.

I also have a soft spot for ice cubes marinated in good Scotch and with the Arms having what I would consider grapes on it I am interested to know if the Burnett's produced/produce wine or more importantly Scotch.

I look forward to conversing with whomever may have any information on the above. My email is vcburnette@gmail.com if anyone would rather connect via email than publically. Just make sure you have a title that I won't randomly delete while cleaning out my inbox.

LisaBurnette
10+ postings

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2014 :  21:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
You posted this a while ago but if you are still about I may be able to help you with your NC Burnett/e search. Mine are from Madison County a little north west of Asheville.
Go to Top of Page

tiffburnette

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Visit tiffburnette's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Clay! I am pretty sure that I am Michael's sister. The one you mention from Philadelphia! Pretty strange seeing your story in this forum :) I found a few copies of This was my (is?) Valley online. I am much more interested in genealogy than my brother is so perhaps I can help dig a bit more to see if our families are related? Let me know if you're interested!

tiffany burnette
Go to Top of Page

Tosh
25+ postings

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2016 :  21:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The theory is that the e was added because in the South, most persons with the spelling "Burnett" pronounced the name Burn-it. So persons added the e so that the name would be pronounced Bur-net.

Carol Burnett fixed all of this in the 60's and now it is rare to find "Burn-it" even in the South.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000