Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsburnett
10+ postings

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2014 :  15:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eileen

I was wondering if I could email you a file that has what I have found about my ancestry for confirmation? I have traced it all the way back to the first Alexander Burnett that was granted lands in Aberdeenshire and would like to know if it is correct.

Yours

Daniel Burnett

danielsburnett7@gmail.com

Edited by - dsburnett on 28 Sep 2014 17:12:51

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  15:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Daniel
Thank you for your message.
Could I ask you to send your file to James Burnett so that we can consider your request.
I think you have already been in contact with him and so will have his e-mail address.
Best wishes
Eileen

EAB
Go to Top of Page

guyfburnett

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Eileen,

I have traced my ancestry back to Scotland as well - or at least to John who came first to Virginia in the 17th century. I am having a problem with one ancestors name and making a definitive connection to his parents.

His name is Bond Burnett (or, I've heard, Benjamin Bond Burnett) and was either born in Maryland, or on the Burnett Plantation in Old Rappahannock County (now Es*** County). Finding my line back to Richmond Burnett, son of Bond, I cannot seem to precisely narrow down if Bond was the son of Jeremiah Burnett or John II. Has anyone else run across this problem? There is plenty more information I have, but instead of putting it in a long post here, might I email you a copy of what I have for review? I'm baffled and the records in the middle 18th century in these rural Virginia counties are scarce.

Thanks!

Guy Burnett
Assistant Professor of Government and Foreign Affairs
Hampden-Sydney College
Go to Top of Page

Tosh
25+ postings

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  16:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guy,

If you have access to June Bork's books, your answer might be there. If not, I will try to help you.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  17:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Guy,
Thank you for your query. Tosh has already very kindly given you the lead that I was going to suggest.
In ""Burnetts & Their Connections" Vol 1 by June Baldwin Bork, she writes that Benjamin/Bond Burnett was born in 1740s, son of Jeremiah Burnett I (son of John Burnett II & Amy Gatewood)
He was in Albemarle Co. Va in 1761. Married Isabel Horsley. Moved to Patrick Co. VA then to Hanover where he died in 1801.
Children Roland, Artexecies, Richmond, Zacariah, Bond Jr, Martha, Micajah & William.
You may find more information in her book.
Best wishes
Eileen
Official Burnett Genealogist

EAB
Go to Top of Page

guyfburnett

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  23:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eileen,

Thank you for the reply and help! I have consulted June's book and was able to get the information out of there. However, as she notes, because of the strange records kept, she believes there are two Bond Burnetts. I cannot seem to find proof either way of the one I would be related to, at least as far as primary documents are concerned. His Revolutionary War records (if it is the same man - there is only one Bond Burnett in the records of the Revolutionary War from Virginia) put him serving for three years, but leaving due (mainly) to sickness at the end of his enlistment.

If it is the same Bond, I have done research on this man in the War, and found that he was in one of only 3 Virginia regiments who crossed the Delaware with Washington in 1776, and fought at Trenton and Princeton. The Virginia regiments (he was in the 6th Virginia Infantry - Continental Line) were the incredibly important in the battles, and Bond would've been part of it. He is listed as being a deserter for the summer/early fall months during 1776, but as shown in many articles, many deserters appeared during the Revolution because they went home to tend crops, families, etc. What "taken" means, and why he was not punished but immediately put back on the payroll after he was taken, is evidence that it wasn't a serious offense, and most likely him being home to help with the farm or family.

He was also at Valley Forge during the horrible winter, as both the roles and Valley Forge Muster Project show: http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/muster.asp.

He doesn't apply for a pension, which is curious, since he lives several years after the end of the Revolution. That's a mystery lost to time, but either way, it would appear that he was an American patriot who took part in two important events in the Revolutionary War. Neat stuff.

Quite a Burnett!

Edited by - guyfburnett on 15 Feb 2015 23:11:31
Go to Top of Page

dsburnett
10+ postings

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  17:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guy,

If you'd like to compare notes since we are both descendants of Ben Burnett feel free to contact me.

Yours Aye
Daniel Burnett

danielsburnett7@gmail.com

DSB - Director
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000