New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

millerfamily5

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  17:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am seeking some help with the birth and parentage of my 2nd great grandfather Thomas Burnett.
Thomas served with the Royal Navy mainly as a carpenter, between 1804 and 1847. He married Ann Farnum Graley in 1815 in Stoke Dameral, Devon and appears to have had his home at the same place close to the naval dockyards thereafter.
He died in Stoke Dameral aged 81 in 1859 which gives an approximate year of birth of 1778.
According to his naval service record Thomas was from Montrose and he joined the navy (his record doesn't say where he joined), age 26, on 2 Nov 1804 serving on HMS Proselyte as an able seaman until 29 July 1805 when he transferred to HMS Galatea.This record appears to indicate that whilst serving with HMS Proselyte he was known as Robert Thomas Burnett and afterwards just as Thomas Burnett.
The Royal Navy purchased the Newcastle collier Ramillies in June 1804 and commissioned her as HMS Proselyte in September 1804, having converted her to a 28-gun sixth rate in July and August.
As Thomas joined when he wasn't very young and as as an able seaman (which I understand is not the lowest naval rank), I believe he may have worked as a seaman in a commercial role possibly with the Ramillies when it was a collier.
I have been unable to find a baptism of a Robert Thomas Burnett in and around Montrose at approximately 1778 when searching on the Scotland's people website. I have found a registration of a Thomas Burnett son to a James Burnett baptized in Peterhead on 6 June 1778.
I would very much like to establish my Burnett and Scottish ancestry. Any help to clarify a date of baptism and birth and parentage for (Robert) Thomas Burnett would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Richard G. Miller

dsburnett
10+ postings

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  01:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard

I'm happy to be the first one to welcome you to the forum. It's always a pleasure to see new members of the family joining us.

For the information you are looking for try looking under the topic "Ask Eileen" she is the family genealogist. If you can't find what you're looking for start a new topic and she's really quick at responding.

Yours
Daniel Burnett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000