Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LisaBurnette
10+ postings

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2015 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Cousins!

I am attempting to create a sort of "genealogical map", places of importance to the Burnetts around Aberdeenshire. I could use a little help/suggestions, don't want to leave anything out. Also the Blackhalls are a little confusing. Barra is listed in three ways, Aberdeenshire, Invernessshire and an island in the western isles. Pretty sure it is Barra Castle in Aberdeenshire that eventually went to the Setons. And what exactly is a "hereditary forester and coroner?" They seem to an appointment given as overseer of forest areas and "coroner" seems to be an investigator for the Crown.. for reasons of accessing wealth of someone who died. Any help on this project is appreciated... feel free to let me know if any of that makes no sense what so ever!

Thanks!
Lisa

p.s. my "infant" map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zidZAhZnBCi8.k1Kb1Fn1MxWc

I'm adding photos and when possible videos, so click on the markers.

Edited by - LisaBurnette on 17 Jan 2015 16:54:40

LisaBurnette
10+ postings

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2015 :  16:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, as a gift I received all three volumes of June Baldwin Borks research if anyone would like me to look something up.. happy to help.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  15:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Lisa,
The Barra that you refer to was Barra Castle and its lands, situated to the north-west of Aberdeen & lying (on modern maps) between Inverurie and Oldmeldrum.
Barra was in the Garioch (pronounced Geerie) one the five division of Aberdeenshire since ancient times - the others being Mar, Strathbogie, Formartine & Buchan.
The heritary Forester & Coroner were appointments which went with lands granted to a family by the King (as was the case when Alexander Burnett was granted the lands of Leys). The duties of Forester were to manage the forest and its deer etc particularly in anticipation that the Monarch might wish, from time to time, to exercise his right to hunt. The Coroner's duties were to maintain law & order over the lands which had been granted, to deal with minor crimes & disputes or to refer more major offences to a higher authority. There is a book published in 2014 "The Coroners of Northern Britain c1300-1700" by R.A. Houston ISBN 978-1-137-38106-4. Published by Palgrave Macmillan. Mention is made of Barra.
Barra Castle and lands were granted to the Blackhall family. As I understand it, any significant change of ownership, other than normal inheritance, was subject to notification to the Crown and
the permission of the Monarch. It would appear that, in 1609, when his son married, Alexander Blackhall sold him Blackhall but did not follow the normal protocol. As a result, in 1613, Alexander Burnett of Leys was appointed to take charge of the estate and to act as Forester & Coroner, duties in which he would obviously already be experienced. This arrangement seems to have been in place until approx. 1620. It should be noted that the relationship between the Blackhalls & the Burnetts was quite a close one and the temporary control which Alexander Burnett had over Barra could be regarded simply as Blackhall being seen to have been formally chastised for breaking the rules!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Eileen (Official Burnett Genealogist)

EAB
Go to Top of Page

LisaBurnette
10+ postings

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  15:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Eileen! I've done a little more research on the topic, the forester subject is especially interesting. My great grandfather, John Burnett was part of Roosevelt's Civilian Forester Corps in the Appalachia mountains of NC, also known as Roosevelt's Tree Army. lol! Your book is a treasure and is well used.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000