The Mystery of Benjamin Burnett
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Main Burnett

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  18:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have traced my Burnett lineage back to Benjamin Burnett (b. 2-21-1753, in Hampton or Norwich, Connecticutt; d. 1785) who served during the Revolutionary War; however, Iíve reached a roadblock when trying to identify his biological parents. Sources on Ancestry.com show that Benjamin Burnett was raised by Jonathon Burnap (1711-1785) and his wife Elizabeth Averill (1725-1785). This Burnap family had eleven children, including Benjamin and two of his natural siblings, James Burnett (1756-1840) and Catherine Burnett (1762-1785). From this point the lineage moves deeper into the roots of the Burnap family and provides no clues regarding Benjaminís parents.
Was Benjamin adopted? Were he and his siblings indentured servants? The Burnett-Burnap Genealogy (Henry Wyckoff Belknap, 1925) does not explain the emergence of Burnetts in the Burnap History and I have so far been unable to travel to Windham County, Connecticutt to haunt their libraries and archives. Right now Iím stuck in the eighteenth century colonies and I am hoping that a descendant of Benjamin, James, or Catherine Burnett who is reading this can help me free up this roadblock so that I could hopefully find a connection to Scotland. Any tips or clues would be appreciated.
Gary Main Burnett
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000