New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vickislade

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  21:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Eileen
My mother's maiden name is Burnett. My great-great-great-great grandfather, John, was born in Scotland around 1799, and married and had children in Wigton, England. His grandson, John, emigrated to New Zealand sometime after 1871 and before 1883, when he married in Christchurch, New Zealand.
A professional researcher, hired by another descendant, says that my gggg-grandfather John was born in Banchory-Ternan, his parents being Alexander (b. 1768) and Mary Elwes, paternal grandfather William Burnett, and siblings Alexander (b.1797), Alexander (b. 1800), William (b.1802), Elspet (b.1804), George (b.1806), Isabel (b.1807), Catherine (b.1810), and Duncan (b.1813). I would like to discover if this information is accurate.
I was wondering if their might be any record that shows that John Burnett (of Banchory-Ternan) left Scotland (or not) and if there is any other information available about the family and their relationships to other Burnetts in the region.
Many thanks
Vicki

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  09:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Vicki,
Many thanks for your message.
I have some information on part of the family you mention, mainly concerning George Burnett(1806)which I researched a few years ago for another descendant.
Will be happy to see what I can do to answer your questions and will get back to you as soon as I can.
Best wishes
Eileen

EAB
Go to Top of Page

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  17:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Vicki.
I have not been able to track any record which proves that John(1799) left Banchory or stayed there. There was a John Burnett(born abt 1801) who appears in 1841 and later census records but his death certificate shows different parents.
John's brother George(1806) died on 7 July 1881. He and his wife Isabella Mortimer are buried in Banchory. They had 7 children born at Whitestone, Strachan parish, where George was a grocer and clothing merchant.He later moved to trade in Arbeadie and later in Echt. His son James became Provost(Mayor) of Banchory and a local publication notes that his ancestors farmed at Arbeadie, Minklets and Brathens(all tenant farms of the Burnett estate).
Mary Alves died at Whitestone on 21 June 1857 aged 90 but George did not give her husband's name on her death certificate. Prior to that she had lived for a time with son William(1802) who farmed at Corfeidly near Banchory. Mary Alves was buried at Banchory but there is no inscribed gravestone for her husband Alexander Burnett.
Will let you know if I find anything relating to John(1799).
Best wishes
Eileen

EAB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000