New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lairdray
5+ postings

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eileen, several people are mentioned in the Holly and the Horn as being Burgess (usually of Aberdeen) or Honorary Burgess (usually of Aberdeen). I noticed that several of the sons of Sir Thomas Burnett (3rd Baronet) were all given the title Honorary Burgess of Aberdeen as very young children. My knowledge of this title is limited, I always thought it was a position. Do you have more information please. Thanks

Eileen Bailey

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2017 :  11:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your query.
The official definition of a Burgess as described by SCAN - Scottish Archive Network - is as follows:
"Burghs and Burgesses
Burgesses were merchants or craftsmen who owned property in burghs and were allowed to trade in burghs free of charge. They could obtain these rights by inheritance, by marriage, by purchase, or by the gift of a burgh. Burghs were essentially urban settlements which enjoyed trading privileges from medieval times until 1832, and which regulated their own affairs to a greater or lesser extent until the abolition of Scottish burghs in 1975. By 1707 three types of burgh existed: royal burghs, burghs of regality and burghs of barony. Burghs produced characteristic forms of historical record, such as court books, guild records, and registers of deeds."
Hope this helps
Eileen

EAB
Go to Top of Page

lairdray
5+ postings

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2017 :  22:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eileen, pretty much what I had seen. Just found it hard to understand why a 3 year old child was made one. I'm sure there was some benefit in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000