Burnetts in Australia and New Zealand
 Grapes in Scotland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amalgamsteve

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  22:27:58  Show Profile  Visit amalgamsteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've a signet ring with the 'family' crest "...pruning a vine tree with a pruning knife..." and always wondered where in Scotland there would have been vines?

Where does this crest come from (ie Grapes in Scotland)?

Is it something to do with the Celts moving over from the mainland?

sab

chris
Administrator

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  21:04:17  Show Profile  Visit chris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Sab, and welcome to the Burnett forum.

You ask about grapes in Scotland. Vines will not generally produce out of doors in Scotland due to our cool climate. However they can be grown under glass and I saw grapes on a vine at Crathes Castle in the greenouses just last week.

Perhaps your signet ring has a similar emblem to the above crest? My initial response is that it is almost certainly the Burnett of Leys crest.
If there is any text (probaly Latin) please advise and perhaps we can identify which clan it belongs to.

Kind regards

Chris

Resident of Crathes, Webmaster, Proprietor of ScotGold Products - www.scotgold.com
Go to Top of Page

amalgamsteve

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  11:36:50  Show Profile  Visit amalgamsteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...grapes in Scotland. Vines will not generally produce out of doors in Scotland due to our cool climate. However they can be grown under glass and I saw grapes on a vine at Crathes Castle in the greenouses just last week.

The Latin is the family motto of 'Virescit vulnere virtus'. Though I am intrigued re the vines under glass (as per above).

Is the growing of vines part of our ancient history and, hence, they are forever grown wherever a Burnett abides?

sab = steve alan burnett

sab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000