Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tosh
25+ postings

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes murder runs in the family as this article attests

"Lavinia Burnett (died November 8, 1845) was the first woman to be executed in the state of Arkansas.[1]

Burnett, her husband Crawford, and their son John, were arrested, tried, and convicted of the murder of Jonathan Selby, who lived near Fayetteville, Arkansas, and who allegedly kept large sums of money at his residence.[1] John Burnett was actually implicated as the suspect who killed Selby. One of Lavinia and Crawford's daughters informed authorities that all three were involved in the plan, and all three were present when it was carried out.[1]

Lavinia and Crawford Burnett were tried in October 1845 and sentenced to be hanged on November 8, 1845.[1] The hanging was reportedly well attended.[1] John Burnett was arrested in Missouri and was found guilty on December 4, 1845.[1] He was hanged on December 26, 1845.[1]"

The daughter who "ratted" on the rest of the family was often thought to be simple minded and many later thought her story was bogus. It is pleasing to note that at least the hanging was well attended. Burnett's have always been known to be able to draw a crowd.

kmgraham

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  15:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even have to check my records. This is my family line...at least I can add the info to my genealogy charts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Burnett Forum © 2016 Burnett of Leys Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000